Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Unwanted Water and a Birthday

Little did I know, while I was writing my last blog post at work on Tuesday, our house was flooding at that moment....literally.  The valve on the wall behind the toilet in our master bedroom (unfortunately upstairs) burst.  It leaked all day while we were gone.  Of course it just so happened that I came home first with the boys...by myself.  I walked in and it sounded like it was raining in the house.  I turned the corner to see our downstairs bathroom's ceiling ON THE FLOOR.  It had completely fallen and water and sheet rock were EVERYWHERE.  I ran upstairs praying I hadn't done something stupid like left a sink running or something.   

I called John (who had planned on working late) to tell him to come home immediately.  He told me to get the water off which I had no clue how to do.  (apparently newer homes...unlike our old house...have an actual master water valve inside)  I ran across the street and luckily our neighbor was home.  She got the water off and had me get the trash can and every towel in the house (we literally ran out of towels and had to start washing to use again).  In a matter of minutes, she we had all the sheet rock up and working on the water situation.  We were covered from head to toe with water and mess....all the while I was just standing there with my mouth opened.  Thank goodness she was home!!  

John rushed home in record time to this disaster of a home.  My parents and John's parents rushed over also.  Mrs. Judy started ripping up the carpet to get the pads out and then we soaked up water using their shop vac.  We are so thankful they knew what to do because we had not a clue!!! 

State Farm had a contractor come out to give an estimate to figure out if we needed to file a claim.  He saw the walls and said we needed Service Master out now.....and obviously needed to file the claim.  I came home from work Wednesday and was in shock.  They cut so many walls out and had about 10 dehumidifiers going.  You could see all the damage to the walls where water got in.  Thankfully, they left a few walls up so the downstairs bathroom could be accessible for the BIRTHDAY PARTY!  

Yes.  We had a birthday party for Brody Saturday.  The water slide was already rented, and we just decided the show must go on.  

I will say, the dehumidifiers made me understand what it's like to not hear well.  I thought my voice was going to go hoarse from all the yelling.  We couldn't hear each other talk when we were sitting next to each other.  But our boys slept so well!  At least someone got sleep in the house.  John and I had them in our actual room.  We were sweating, and it was so loud. I couldn't even hear my alarm in the morning!


BUT it could've been a lot worse.  It missed all of our furniture besides the one ottoman.  It happened to enter into every room that still desperately needed to be painted.  And those were rooms that the ceilings were too high, so we needed to hire people to get it done.  If we have to pay that deductible, at least we are getting some upgrades out of it.  


So we decided to smile about it.  

The worst part of it all was that our cable and internet had been out for a WEEK!  (totally unrelated) At first, we didn't mind.  We spent a lot of nights outdoors and getting things done.  But it got old quick.  Real old.  They got it back on 30 minutes before the birthday party started Saturday.  Hallelujah.   We were waiting for someone to tell us we were on Punked.  



Onto the Birthday Boy.  

We had Brody's 2nd birthday party at Pat's Thursday.  Of course they went all out with a giant Mickey Mouse cake.  


He was in Heaven.  I love how they love these kids so much.  



I had no idea what Brody would do.  He always gets so quiet with a lot of people around.  But he really enjoyed celebrating him.  He loved us singing and LOVED opening presents.  I just thought it was the sweetest thing.  





Jani and Mae were there.  

And of course Big Brother came.  




Every present was either an "Oh" or an "Ah".  He just ate it all up.  



Next on to the big birthday celebration at our house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment