We got John's scan results yesterday. Like I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the doctor was expecting clean scans. This is what I have been so worried about the whole time. I have been dreading the day we had to make the decision to have surgery or not.
His PET scan came back with a very small (2.3) spot that lit up in that lymph node area. The mass did shrink, but we really wanted it to show no activity. This is all still good news though. Anything under 3 can definitely be benign (no cancer cells). Dr. Weeks really does think it is most likely cancer-free, but we just have no proof.
We have two options:
1. Do surgery.
2. Check again in four months with another scan.
Our doctor said if it were him, he would wait and recheck. We will know for sure at the next scan. This is an aggressive cancer. The mass on the testicle was tiny but had metastasized a lot. If there is any cancer left, it will spread, and the next scan will show it. If this does happen, we will have surgery immediately.
The doctor told us it would be ludicrous to say he was "all clear", but he really thinks he is all clear. He knows we used the right drugs and there wasn't a massive amount of disease there to start with. This medicine should have killed it all. But we all know, cancer doesn't have to be textbook.
Bottom line, we did not get bad news. John was actually very happy with the results.
I, of course, really wanted this to be over. I hate not being able to plan things because we may have surgery. I don't want this to be on the back of my mind day after day. I'm pretty tired of telling people (every single day) that this is a "good cancer" or "John will be okay" or "don't worry". Frankly, I hate saying, "the doctor's say this is a cancer you want if you have to have one". It doesn't mean that it isn't as real or that it doesn't suck.
But that is just me being selfish. What it does mean is that this is not going to kill him. He will beat this without a doubt. It is just a matter of when. So here I am waiting for another 4 months to go by. Until those scans, we will be enjoying life, friends, and family….and hopefully growing out some hair.
Thanks for all the prayers this week.
We really do have an amazing group of people around us.
Next weekend, we will be celebrating a night in Nashville with friends for a No More Chemo Party. That is certainly something to celebrate.
No comments:
Post a Comment