Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

RPLND Surgery at IUPUI

We got to Indiana University Hospital at 5:30 this morning and got all checked in.  (And yes, it snowed last night here.)  They put us in a pre-op room where we met the entire team that would be working with John.  The staff has all been just awesome.  They are all so informative and everything is so organized.  






After Mrs. Judy, Mr. Larry, Robert, and myself said our goodbyes, they had us head towards the designated area for the family during surgery.  They gave us a pager and we were able to choose which section we wanted.  Each family has their own area with a ton of chairs, tables, and a tv.  There was a supporting nurse who updated us about every 45 minutes.  Her sole job is to check on him during surgery and come back to report to us.  It was extremely helpful. 

Dr. Foster was ready to meet with us after an hour and a half.  He had estimated surgery would take two to two and a half hours, so we were glad it wasn't even that long.  Surgery went very well.  The tumor (he calls it a tumor…lymph node, tumor, whatever…it's gone!) was on the right side as we had known, but it had grown over to the left side some.  He was able to remove it all and we will find out pathology in a few days.  Everything else in his body looked great.  

They then gave him something similar to an epidural that will last about 24 hours to help with the pain. He was in recovery a little longer than planned because they had a hard time getting his pain down.  They like to go on and get him comfortable while he's there because they can give him tons of meds.  Once he is on a regular floor, they limit what they give you.  Therefore, he is totally out of it right now.  

Another positive, we were able to get a private room!  I have read about this before, but Memphis has private rooms in the hospitals I have been in.  Apparently, in the north, not so much.  You share a room.  We learned this yesterday, and I have been so worried.  The whole time I thought I would be able to spend the night in his room with him.

But we were able to grab a private room.  It is first come, first serve.  It is a little more expensive, but $60 a night sounded like chump change compared to other hospital bills!  I just didn't want him suffering all night alone.  That sounds miserable.  The nurse also told us it is a good chance they will not even charge us since John is a patient of Dr. Foster.  Most of Dr. Foster's patients come from all over the world for surgery, so they like to accommodate them first.  All I know is I don't have to leave him tonight and I am happy.


Plans for the next two days are:

He will rest today.  (He is doing breathing exercises.)  Tomorrow we will get him up and moving.  The sooner he can get up, the better.  


They are expecting us to be discharged Friday.  They would prefer us to get a hotel room in Indianapolis that night and start the trip back home Saturday.  Again, we will need to break the trip into two days, so we will find a hotel room near the north side of Nashville.


All in all, John did very well and I am so proud of him.  I know this was no fun but he conquered this thing and I could not be more happy.  We have had so many people praying for us and thinking about us.  It has all been so encouraging and I cannot thank you enough.


We even had a few other Brower Power t-shirts worn today…




Becca and Reese were in the spirit too!

I will update tomorrow with hopefully more good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment