Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Surgery Plans

I think we have it all figured out now.  

John and I are going to head to Indianapolis Sunday morning.  We have to be at the surgeon's office Monday morning for his consult.  (we have only emailed and sent every medical file/ scan/ path report imaginable)  We will get to the hospital at the crack of dawn Tuesday morning for surgery.  

There is no way to know how long he will need to stay in the hospital after, but it is usually about 3-4 days after the surgery.  

I have no problem admitting I am a planner and a control freak.  Trying to guess when we would need a flight was a tad complicated.  Not to mention, the flights back home were all with a layover.  After talking it over with John, it is going to be best to drive.  If we have a layover, we would be up and down all day at airports.  He winced when I mentioned the idea of a wheelchair.  

So the plan is to just "go with the flow".   
If John feels like he isn't ready for the ride home when they release him from the hospital, we can stay the night in a hotel room.  When he is ready to leave, we will cut the trip in half.  We can drive the first four hours and stop to get a hotel room and rest.  Then we can make the second half of the trip the next day.  No big deal.  Whatever is easiest for him.  I will bring tons of pillows and blankets to make sure he's comfortable.  I really think we will be home by Sunday at the latest. 

We already booked our hotel rooms for Sunday and Monday.  The hospital sent us information for discounted rates and perks (free valet! woo hoo) which was very helpful.  The hotel will have shuttles we can take all day to and from the hospital.  They also have a delivery service that will bring any food to the hotel.  

Of course, we are going to make the first two days there enjoyable.  We have dinner reservations for St. Elmo's Steak House Sunday night.  John's work has to travel there a lot, and they always make sure to stop here.  John seems pretty excited about it.  Monday after his appointment, we can just walk around downtown Indianapolis and site see.  I've never been there before and could certainly think of many other reasons to go besides this, but we are going to enjoy it!

John's parents will be coming to Indianapolis.  I think they are getting there Monday.  It will be nice to have them there while he is in surgery.  

My parents will take care of the boys.  I know they are in good hands, and will be happy to have their Mickey Mouse spoiling them.  It is comforting knowing they will basically keep the same routine, so it will be much easier on them.  I talked to Mason a little about it and explained we would be gone for a while so Daddy could, once and for all, not be sick anymore.  He started crying and saying he wanted me to stay and not go.  I got so sad and had huge tears in my eyes until I turned around and looked at him in the eyes…he was fake crying!!!  He said he was "just tricking me".  I think he will be just fine!



If I have learned one thing from all of this, it is to ALWAYS consult with a specialist.  There are soooooo many different types of cancers.  There is NO way one oncologist can know it all.  What is the harm in asking for a second opinion?!  We are talking about your life here.  All I did was send an email.  Something so simple yet such a game-changer.


I know this surgery is not something someone begs for, but John has done so well.  He knows it is what is needed and ready to get it over.  

I think we both actually feel so blessed to be having the experts, the best of the best, work on him.  What an opportunity he has been given, and we are so grateful!




1 comment:

  1. Praying for yall this morning! I hope everything goes smoothly. Praying for the drs and nurses that will be taking care of yall...and praying for you! Being the caretake is so extremely hard!! My brother, Blake, lives in Indy if yall need anything! love~

    ReplyDelete