Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Where to Begin

I am not even sure where to begin with this post.  We had a busy week and I think my brain turned into mush.  

I started jury duty on Tuesday.  They called groups of jurors for several trials and my name continued to not be called.  The commissioner came back in around 3pm to say there was only one trial left and if he didn't call your name, jury duty was over.  I was so hopeful, but of course I was called.  The trial was starting on Wednesday and I was lucky enough to be Juror #1...great.  That meant I would be a juror unless one of the attorneys didn't want me.  

 The entire process is pretty interesting.  It makes you realize how fortunate we are to have a judicial system like we do.  But it all became very surreal right before we headed into the courtroom (before we knew a thing about the case).  Another trial was ending and the mom of the defendant ran out screaming.  Her son got 18 years.  It wasn't until then that I started wondering what had I gotten myself into.  

As soon as we walked into the courtroom, I was a nervous wreck.  After looking around the room (seeing the defendant, the DA, the public defendant, and the judge), I felt like this was a case I didn't want to be on.  And sure enough,  I was right.  I was just completely shocked.  

We went through the nerve-wrecking process of jury selection.  Soon after I was asked all the questions I needed to answer, it began to sink in that I was most likely stuck on this case. 

The trial lasted until Friday.  I met some really nice people and some not so nice.  =)
It was certainly a diverse group of jurors.  But we all came together to reach a verdict and found the defendant guilty of aggravated sexual battery of a child (told you..horrible case to be on!!!!).  



A few things I learned:

1.  I am thankful for our judicial system
2.  So glad I don't have to pick out an outfit everyday to wear to work.  After the 1st day, I couldn't find     a thing to wear.  Glad to put my scrubs back on tomorrow!
3.  Very thankful I wasn't shot...seriously, it got a little scary in the courtroom.  
4.  So glad I wasn't on a sequestered jury...that would have been horrible.  (how in the world did the OJ jurors be away from their family for 10 months?!?!  I just don't get it)
5.  Very very very thankful I will not have jury duty for another 10 years!!!






But life went on throughout the week and we had an interesting Tuesday.  I had cleaned out Mason's ears the night before and I swear I thought I saw something in one of his ears.  He asked me, out of the blue, if he had rice in there.  Rice?!?!  Why would he think that unless he stuck rice in there.  I asked him a million times.  He would laugh and say no.  

Tuesday after school I asked him again if he had put rice in his ear and he started laughing again!!!  I told him he was going to be in so much trouble if he had put anything in there and was lying to me.  He then started to cry and said he did put it in there.  

Off to the doctor at 5:00 we went.  

And turns out he did NOT put rice in his ear.  I basically convinced him he did....how horrible is that?!?!?  Guess that is something I need to work on!


We headed home from the doctor and Brody must've been really hungry because he went right after the dog food.  I pulled every one of those kernels out of his mouth!!


Thursday morning I didn't have to be back in court until 11:00.  Of course I couldn't sleep in, but John did take the boys to school.  Once they were out the door, I drank a cup of coffee and watched the Today Show.  It's the small things. 


Winter reared its ugly head around the corner last week.  That means sweater time for Emma. 



We had a fun weekend celebrating the twins' first birthday party!  Stay tuned.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that case is over for you and how terrible of a case!! I know it makes you thankful for all that we do have because I'm sure you saw questionable people in the courtroom.
    That is hilarious about the rice in Mason's ear, something I would totally do and I'm sure in the past I've convinced the boys of something they didn't do but I swore they did... oh the joys of motherhood! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete