Well we survived the week and weekend. I won't lie, I was so very nervous about the chemo. They say it gets harder each time because your body is weaker. But the biggest difference this round was how much stronger John was mentally. He knew he felt horrible, but he also knew it would only last a few days. He had no proof that would happen with the first time...he had never done this before.
Don't get me wrong, it was not an easy weekend for him. But he took it like a champ.
I don't know what we would do without our family. John has yet to go to a chemo treatment alone. His Mom was able to go the day he saw the doctor and his Dad went all the rest. He also stayed home with him the days he felt bad until I got back from work.
My Mom picked the boys up from school Friday and decided to have them spend the night since John wasn't feeling well. We were able to relax, go to sleep early, and sleep past 6. (woo hoo) I picked them up early Saturday so we could run a few errands.
These boys desperately needed haircuts. I had never taken them both alone, but I had no other option. Brody still isn't too comfortable and I always stand with Mason to make sure he was still. They both did great though. Maybe I should just sit in the waiting area next time and nap?!? =)
Robert and Reese came to pick up Mason around lunchtime Saturday. They offered to have Mason over to hang out and spend the night Saturday. Lets face it, our house isn't as fun on weekends like this because we really can't leave, so I was so glad he could have fun there. Of course he was super excited.
Before they headed to Covington, we stopped at ChickfilA for lunch. We had a bit of dramatic moment when Reese overheard me tell Robert he probably didn't want Mason to have an ice cream cone in his car. When Reese ordered them, she told the lady Mason needed a cup of ice cream instead of a cone (which was true by the way). When he saw it, it didn't go over too well. A couple of dollars later, Mason got a cone and I brought ice cream in a cup home to John. Crisis adverted.
I got to spend a lot of alone time with this cute thing. Mrs. Judy dropped off a veggie lasagna (my fav) Saturday night. Brody and his superheroes loved it.
Mason would've DIED if he knew Brody played with his superheroes the whole time he was away. I'm going to have to buy another set of them.
I got a video of Reese and Mason on a swing and then they sent us a picture of them making cookies. I knew without a doubt, he would be pretty disappointed to have to come back home!!!
Sunday morning quiet time.
So, as I thought, Mason came home Sunday and threw a fit when Reese had to leave. Becca said she thought he was tired. He told me he was going to "cool down" in his room and ten minutes later, this is what I found. He passed out for 3 hours!!! Having fun is just too hard sometimes. =)
We are so grateful that they took Mason. I know it had to be hard on them with all four kids!!!! But he was able to have a really fun weekend and not see his Daddy so sick. It really means the world to us.
Sunday night, Mark and Jessica brought us Gus' Fried Chicken. The best chicken ever.
And we watched the Grammys. Mason got to stay up a little later than usual because Imagine Dragons were performing Radioactive....his favorite.
My parents came over last night with dinner. She also brought banana pudding which is always a hit.
Brody couldn't figure out why I hadn't been making this for him every night.
It has been so so cold here lately but we haven't gotten any snow!!!! It snowed/iced South of us today, but we did wake up this morning with a tiny dusting. Mason was so excited when he saw and wanted to make a snowman. I had to break the news to him that we wouldn't be doing that today, but I would take his picture in front of it. (he has gotten much taller and his jeans were way too short but his Daddy dressed him and thought they looked okay)
Lyndsey made us pot roast with sweet potatoes tonight. Yum.
And she made the boys mac and cheese. Brody was very impressed with her cooking skills.
John had good lab reports Monday and went back to work today. He should feel pretty good until the next round of chemo other than being tired, and for that, I am thankful!












No comments:
Post a Comment