Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 6, 2013

30th Bday Celebration: Chicago

So this may be the longest post of pictures yet.  Fortunately, we only went to Chicago for three days or it would be much longer.  =)

In the airplane about to leave rainy Memphis. 


 We got to Chicago, checked in at our hotel and had lunch.  We had been a little worried about our tiny room that all four of us were going to share (turns out Chicago is unbelievably expensive), but the hotel offered us an upgrade to a suite.  It was on the top floor of the hotel and we had almost as much square footage as our house.  

We had tried to book the Chicago Pizza Tour for Friday but it was all sold out.  I'm not a tour type person, but I had read all these great reviews on it.  After that didn't work, we decided on booking the Chicago Beer Experience Tour because its reviews were great as well.  It was a blast and I would highly recommend it to anyone (beer lover or not).  We walked to 5 different bars and tried many different craft beers.  We learned a ton about Chicago history and of course the history of craft beer.  There were a total of ten of us on the tour plus the guide.  By the end, we were all mingling and the guide wasn't really having to do much...that could have been due to the beer though.  


The second bar we stopped at was a bacon and beer bar. They accompanied each beer with a different type of bacon.  Very different, but who doesn't love bacon?!



Paddy Long's, the bacon and beer bar.  



I'm ready to go back for the pizza tour now!  And I totally think we should start a Memphis BBQ tour.  




After dinner Friday night.  


We grabbed one drink at a bar near our hotel after dinner, but we were so tired.  I do believe we are starting to feel thirty as well.  Ha. 


Saturday morning we got up and shopped!  What else are you suppose to do in Chicago????  Becca and I racked up and then we all headed for some good ole Chicago-style pizza.  Lou Malnalti's was awesome. 


The Cubs played the Diamondbacks Saturday night so we headed to Wrigley.  


The Birthday Boys






The weather held off until right before game time and then it down poured.  There was a two hour rain delay, but it finally cleared and they played ball.  The only problem was with the rain came the cold. 





Sunday morning we had reservations for brunch at The Publican.  It was honestly the best food.  They serve a lot of their food "family style".  It was also one large table, so you sat next to whoever.  It was a   really cool place. 


We decided to do some of the tourist things before we caught our flight back home.  The only problem was the weather was horrible on Sunday.  The high was 59 degrees, no sun in sight, and it was misting rain...perfect.  

We took a cab to the Sears Tower and were then told you could not see a thing at the top because of the weather.  We decided to walk to "the bean".  Let me tell you, bad decision.  It felt like we walked two miles in the freezing cold.  Should have taken a cab.  

We made it!

Turns out the bean was not far from our hotel...


Site seeing on their actual bday.

***side note***
I promise I have pants on but they are orange and blend in.  Every time Mason looks at these pictures, he asks me why I'm not wearing pants...


We had the best time.  I just love Chicago, it is such a fun city.  

  Thanks a ton to our awesome parents for watching the boys.  It is so nice that we are able to get some time away and enjoy each other, but I think we were all ready to get back to the kiddos.  

Mom sent me this picture of Brody standing up.  He became a pro while we were gone.  



Mason was also very adamant about his Daddy needing a birthday cake and everyone to sing him the birthday song.  So what did they do?!?!  They made a birthday cake.  He was very proud.  


He also enjoyed some sprinkles.  


What a great way to end the birthday weekend.  Blowing out candles with the sweetest three year old.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment